It's been some time since I worked on this scene. Since my last post I played a lot of Diablo 2 Ressurected which inspired my change in direction.
I focused on getting the main two modular sets finished to a standard I'm happy with. Figuring out a good workflow here was a bit trickly. Since I already had tileable textures I wanted to use but also had quite a lot of normal information from the high to low poly bake I settled for a hybrid solution.
While the tileables use world aligned, the baked detail used UV channel 0. Then I blend them together. The final result works very well if not for some stretching which I still need to figure out later. Unique, non-repeating elements are unwrapped onto their own sheet and use a separate material. I've given myself quite a lof ot control here.
One mistake I made earlier was not making my normal maps with iso view in mind. They ended up nearly invisible from a distance so I had to go out of my way to make them more visible. Here's how the crypt set looks with some fairly OTT normal maps.
Some areas could still be adjusted to make for better looking result. I need to push some base value to achieve more legible results. But I'm fairly pleased with the results for a first authoring pass.
Next I'm going to continue replacing blockout meshes with more finalised assets. I also need to figure out how to fix the annoying normals issue on the top of the crypt.